Common Types of Diagnostic Medical Devices:
Medicine has advanced to such an extent that it has answers to everything. Since the olden times doctors and medical professionals have focused their valuable resources on proper diagnosis for an effective treatment. In this endeavor, the chain of events start off from using proper tools for diagnosis. Enlisted here are some of the most profound diagnostic devices that are used by doctors worldwide:
It is the most efficient tool that helps attaining vitals and substantial features of the patient at hand. They are essentially the most significant equipment that help in assessing heart sounds, heart beats, breath sounds etc.
- Heart palpitations
- Heart disease
- Heart valve issues
There are electronic stethoscopes which are devised to closely examine low-pitched heart sounds and high pitched pulmonary sounds.
For accurate measurement of blood pressure Sphygmomanometers are the key tools used by nurses and doctors. Careful evaluations and fluctuations of blood pressure have been made possible by this device. Number chronic and acute diseases have shown an impeccable variation in blood pressure. Sphygmomanometer helps in examining the patient and predicting the next move towards an adequate remedy.
- High or low blood pressure
- Artery hardening
- Arterial plaque
There are two types of Sphygmomanometer.
- The electrical sphygmomanometers or Aneroid Sphygmomanometers are not reliable in their readings. This variation makes it quite difficult for the physicians to regulate their diagnosis
- The manual type sphygmomanometer is usually favored due to the universal accepted optimum readings.
They are used to examine the eye with precision. Most ophthalmologists have acquired this device in order to accurately translate their suspicion with accurate diagnosis. Seeing is believing; and with an ophthalmoscope you can analyze the eye with ease.
- Bacterial infections
- Detached retinas
- Direct Ophthalmoscopes give a magnified image of the eye in an upright position. It is placed very close to the patient eye in order to get correct results.
- Indirect ophthalmoscope, unlike the direct one produces an inverted image of the eye. In order to achieve this, the device is placed at 15-30 inches distance from the patient’s eye. This device shows more potent results when confirming a cataract.
If you are having hearing problems or any discomfort in your ear, the physician would probably equip himself with an otoscope for examination purposes. It is used to give an image of the ear canal. The lens magnifies the image while the doctor views the inside of your ear.
- Ear infections
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Causes of vertigo or dizziness
- Meniere’s Disease
- Swimmers Ear
There is a light assisting the physician to give a clear idea. The light and the magnifying power of lens help in examining the outer and middle ear. The doctor is ascertained to always dispose off the speculum part of the otoscope in order to avoid spreading of infection and for hygiene purposes.